Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Josiah Funnies

Once again I've collected Josiah's sayings from the past several weeks and saved them up for a post of their own. Here goes!


1. We're reading through the psalms at breakfast time. A few weeks ago we read Psalm 40 and then, soon after, Psalm 46, both of which describe the wicked as exclaiming, "Aha! Aha!" Josiah was highly entertained by this and wanted me to read the "aha!" part again and again. Each day after he'd ask me to return to that section. "What those guys say 'Aha! aha!'?" he'd ask. "You read that, Mama!"



2. Some time ago in Sprouts a man commented on how beautiful the twins were. At the end of our short conversation, he said to me, "You're so blessed." Josiah replied, "I'm a boy!"



3. Josiah gave us a reprieve of some weeks from his threats to run away. But he started back into them about a month ago. The new versions are just more religious:

"I'm gonna run away!" he told me many times one day. I asked him where he planned to go. Once he said, "I'm gonna run to Jesus!" and the other time he said, "I'm gonna go to heaven." (His tone was still sullen, but at least he's choosing good places to run to!)



4. Lately Josiah has been asking good questions about Jesus. Perhaps they're partly a ploy to keep me in his room longer at bedtime, but he's genuinely interested, too--and trying to figure things out. "Where is Jesus?" he asked one night. "I can't see him. He in heaven way far away with his friends?"

5. I love Josiah's wonder as he discovers truth. Several times one week he declared, "Mama, Jesus is God!" He also regularly affirms, "Jesus hears us!"



6. One Sunday we were preparing to go for an evening walk. I was turning out lights in the kitchen when I overheard Josiah (in the living room) say to Abby and Lydia--in a sweet but authoritative voice--"Come on, my servant! Come here, my other servant!" Just to be sure, I asked him what he called his sisters. "My servants," he confirmed.



7. On one May evening we rode bikes to some friends' home for supper. On our way back, we heard a strange animal noise. Jeremy speculated that it might be peacocks. Josiah piped up: "Maybe it's an octopus, Dad?"


8. Dragons still feature frequently in Josiah's imagination. In the car the other day, he was musing about dragons and said, "Someday I gonna ride a dragon, Mama. Maybe Daddy take me to ride a dragon sometime?" I explained that dragons aren't real so he can't ride one. Undeterred, he just asserted, "Someday I ride one with Daddy." Then I told him he could ride a real animal like a camel or an elephant. "Elephants too big, Mama!" he said.


9. The other day Josiah said he planned to "drive away somewhere." I told him he had about 12 years till he can drive. He smiled and responded, "'Siah gonna drive, and Mama sit in the carseat!"

 Sleeping beauties!

2 comments:

Emily said...

These are the best! I love that he plans to have you sit in the car seat when he drives.... He's already concerned about your safety;)

Naomi said...

I think he's more interested in the role-reversal that me sitting in the carseat would entail. :)

Post a Comment