Thursday, February 25, 2016

Third Birthday

I'm a little sad that I no longer have any two-year-olds! How did a year go by so quickly?


Lydia and Abby eagerly anticipated turning three (and then four, and then five, and then--"what comes next, Mama?"). Because of a poop-on-the-floor incident during naptime, Lydia almost missed the chance to turn three with Abby. But we relented and allowed her to stay the oldest. 

Lydia likes to have the blue chair, blue tray, blue bib, and blue bowl
  
I asked them when they woke up what they wanted for their birthday breakfast. "Chocolate cake and chocolate ice cream!" they replied. Shouldn't I have known? That's what they told me they wanted for their birthday many a time in the days preceding!


But I clarified that we needed to eat breakfast food for breakfast. So they chose Dutch baby pancake with whipped cream and berries. These three-year-olds are big eaters! I tremble to think what our grocery bill will be in even a few years.


Josiah was happy with their choice of breakfast food, though he said the spatula tasted like garlic :)

After the birthday breakfast, we had a pretty normal day at home with book reading, outside play, etc. I made a picnic lunch for the kids (they enjoy eating it on a blanket in the yard), and then for dinner we had homemade pizza. Of course, we finished up with chocolate cake and chocolate ice cream.






Jeremy took the older three to Safeway when he got home to get helium balloons. The birthday girls enjoyed the outing and loved the balloons!

 Abby

 She makes a pained face for the camera these days

Lydia

They also loved opening the cards that came in the mail for them. Great-grandma's Minnie Mouse cards were a huge hit! They spent quite a while with the stickers. They also wanted me to re-read the cards from everyone several times. And they constantly needed to check for "A" or "L" on each card to make sure they had theirs and not their sister's!

Even Clara got a balloon! It was commandeered for Lydia when L's got a hole, though

Josiah, of course, chose a green balloon




 Can you tell they were excited about dessert?

After dinner, we gave the girls a couple presents (each got a book, and together they got a big box of chalk). They also opened the little package from Uncle Dave and Aunt Barb, which contained some "bouncing" balloons. We had them wait to play with those till the following day, and they've had lots of fun with them (they've also lasted much longer than the helium balloons!).


Josiah had to be called off a few times . . .



Clara and Daddy

Sorry about the poor-quality pictures, but at least this gives you a glimpse of the girls' birthday. We're planning to celebrate February and March birthdays with everyone in Flagstaff soon, and I'm sure the girls will be thrilled to get a repeat birthday!

No comments:

Post a Comment