As usual, I've accumulated kid funnies over the months and now have a plethora to organize and post. Seeing as Abby has provided me with plenty of fodder lately, I thought I'd start with just her--so here's the first ever edition of Abby's humorous sayings!
1. Abby the Agitator
Abby seems so sweet and little and babyish at first blush, but she can be daring, stubborn, defiant, and loud, too! She certainly knows how to bug her sister as well.
On a trip home from the library one day, I overheard this conversation between the sisters in the back of the car . . .
Abby: "You people, Li-ya!"
Lydia: "No! Me not people!"
Abby: "You people."
Lydia, yelling: "No!"
[Repeated till parental intervention.]
Then two seconds later . . .
Lydia: "You people, Aya-bee!"
Abby: "No! You people."
Lydia: "No! You people."
Abby: "No! You people."
Etc.
One afternoon a couple weeks ago, the girls were supposed to be taking a nap. Instead, they stood in their cribs and talked to each other. But the conversation quickly went south, as I heard Lydia crying tragically and shouting. I discovered Abby had been antagonizing Lydia by claiming she herself was Lydia:
Abby: "Me Li-ya!"
Lydia: "No! Me Li-ya!"
Abby: "You not Li-ya. Me Li-ya!"
Lydia, very upset: "NO! ME LI-YA!"
Abby, still quietly composed: "Me Li-ya!"
Lydia, wailing: "NO! NO, Abby! ME LI-YA!"
Etc.
2. Abby Learning Anatomy
I had just knelt down to help Abby into her pants, when I noticed she was looking intently at my face. She then pointed to my eyebrows: "Loo [you] has two beards, Mama!" she exclaimed.
3. Abby's Literary References
Abby, poking Jeremy: "You in jail!"
Jeremy: "What?! Why am I in jail?"
Abby: "You a dirty rat!"
(Background: we've recently read and watched the Richard Scarry story of Cous-Cous, the Algerian detective, who nabs Pepe le Gangstair and his "band of dirty rats"--thus Abby's reference.)
Abby and Josiah were swordfighting one day. Josiah whacked her sword, and then Abby took the offensive, shouting, "En garde! Touche!" (Art Dog is a favorite storybook these days.)
4. Sisterhood
Jeremy cut down lots of branches in our back ditch yesterday. Josiah picked out a couple good-looking sticks and begged Jer to make him a "bow and arrow." So Jeremy strung the sticks with string, and Josiah and the girls are in bow heaven . . . except that there are two working bows between the three of them. So this morning they came in after playing with the bows . . .
Josiah: "Mama, I shared my bow with Li-ya!"
Me: "That's great! I'm glad you guys are sharing so well."
Abby: "I not share with Li-ya."
Me: "Well, that's not very kind."
Abby, with very sweet voice: "I share with Li-ya next week!"
Josiah: "Mama, I shared my bow with Li-ya!"
Me: "That's great! I'm glad you guys are sharing so well."
Abby: "I not share with Li-ya."
Me: "Well, that's not very kind."
Abby, with very sweet voice: "I share with Li-ya next week!"
No comments:
Post a Comment