Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Lydia's Funnies

Abby isn't the only funny girl in our house! Lydia is a sweet and earnest little spitfire with lots of ideas and an increasing vocabulary, too. So of course, I've got some memorable sayings from her, too. In no particular order, here we go . . .


Lydia has surprised me by being more interested than Abby in wearing "big girl undies" and doing her business on the potty. She likes to handle most of the process by herself: putting on the kid seat, flushing afterwards, pumping the soap, etc. "Me do it mineself!" is her common refrain. But apparently her own efforts on the toilet weren't enough the other day. As she strained to poop on the potty, she said, "You help me, Mama. You push on my head."


All three kids like to ask questions about and discuss the new baby. Early on in my pregnancy--shortly after my initial doctor's appointment (to which everyone accompanied me in order to see the initial ultrasound)--Lydia firmly decided she did not want a baby in her belly. She saw the connection between pregnancy and doctor's appointments. But she also somehow believes driving and pregnancy are mutually exclusive. . . . Often she tells me, "Me, drow up, no baby belly! Me DRIVE!"



(On the other hand, Abby still plans to have children when she "drows up." One day she watched me take prenatal vitamins and said excitedly, "Me drow up, have baby in mine belly, me take pills!")

L on left, A on right

At lunchtime the other day, Lydia turned to Abby and said, "Look, Ab. You in jail. See the bars?" and she pointed to the chair rungs. She repeated herself a few times--"See the bars? You in jail!"


One morning as the kids played outside, I saw Abby ride across the yard on Lydia's bike with a little smirk on her face. Josiah rode after her, shouting to Lydia, "Look, Lydia! Abby's riding your bike!" Lydia stood on the patio coffee table, pointed at Abby, and declared, "Feef! Feef!" ("Thief!")

 Lydia at the 4th of July parade in Flagstaff. She loves her sunglasses!

Lydia plans to be an independent woman when she "drows up," but she also is interested in marriage lately. Grandma C. let her wear her ring occasionally when they stayed here a couple weeks ago. This past week Lydia slid a canning ring up her arm and said, "This my ring! I married!" I asked her whom she married, and she thought a second before saying, "Pa!"


More recently she told me at breakfast time, "I drow up, get ring. I say, 'Yes!' I love him!"
"Who do you love?" I asked.
"The guy," she said.




No comments:

Post a Comment