Thursday, March 19, 2015

Warning: Contains Poop

Are toddlers ready to potty train when they start stripping off their diapers and smearing poop everywhere? Then Abby is beyond ready. But I'm not sure how to catch her before the poop ends up all over . . .


This past Tuesday we had two poop episodes with Abby and one with Lydia. Thankfully Lydia's was in her high chair during book time--the poop just oozed out her diaper and into her seat. Josiah reported that she had poop on her finger, but she helpfully held it up for me to wipe and did not smear it all over her book (like she did last week).

Unfortunately Abby was not so cooperative. After I read the girls their pre-naptime book on the couch in the living room, I got up for a minute. I returned to find Abby naked from the waist down, with a poopy diaper left on the couch, and the main contents of it plopped on the couch cushion next to Lydia. Lydia did not have the sense to stay away from the poop, so her shorts went in the wash with Abby's clothes. I had to hunt carefully to find all the spots affected on the couch cushions and the nearby blanket and rug . . . and of course, Abby took some wiping up, too.

Abby

Well, apparently that episode wasn't epic enough for Abby. I heard some rustling about an hour into naptime that I assumed was Josiah, reading his books in our room during his rest time. I kept prepping dinner, but eventually went back to check--and discovered Abby and a mess of truly disheartening proportions.

Her diaper was abandoned in her bed, with only a little pee in it. The bedsheets were clean. But her bed was about the only area clean in the entire room.

She herself stood near the door, caked with poo from belly to toes, with plenty on her hands and some on her shirt. She had discarded her very poopy pants on some foam mats, which had several smears of it, too. I must give her credit for at least trying to clean up--she had thrown several poopy wipes into the trash can, along with globs of poo, and I found poo ground into the rug underneath the trash can. The changing table top and sides, parts of the nearby wall, Josiah's bed rail (which she used to climb up to the changing table), her dresser, a floor pillow, and a few blankets were additional casualties of the Poop Fling of 2015. 

Abby went straight into the bath while I tried to clean the biggest globs. Lydia awoke amidst the fuss, so I transported her across the room to a poop-free zone. After Abby's hose-down, she joined the other two in watching a Richard Scarry show on YouTube so I could tackle the stinky bedroom. The clean-up took a full 45 minutes.

Of course, while I was wiping and scrubbing, Josiah kept hollering, "I want a snack! Please may I have a snack?!" from the computer room. "'Nack! 'nack!" the girls chimed in. Yes, yes, just as soon as I finish cleaning every inch of your room of poop . . .


No comments:

Post a Comment